Author Topic: How many species?  (Read 155701 times)

iamthewaffler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
How many species?
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
How many photobionts and motobionts are there included? I have almost finished the plot, and have been fairly diligent about tagging critters and such. Can you give us a spoiler'd number for each?

Brendan

• Lead Artist
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: How many species?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
[spoiler]There are 6 motobionts (including both bristletongue types) and 34 photobionts on Artocos[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:35:16 PM by Brendan »

iamthewaffler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
Awesome. Just 3 short.

zarf

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »
I'm missing one of each. I've covered nearly all of the island, so I don't really have a plan other than wandering randomly until something else turns up.

Question:

[spoiler]
I've found just one species that lives in the water. (Aside from the endgame.) Is there another?
[/spoiler]

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
I'm missing one of each. I've covered nearly all of the island, so I don't really have a plan other than wandering randomly until something else turns up.

Question:

[spoiler]
I've found just one species that lives in the water. (Aside from the endgame.) Is there another?
[/spoiler]

Answer:
[spoiler]Nope, unless the last animal I'm after lives there.  There are a couple of plants that only grow in one small patch on the entire island (at least I've only ever seen them in one small patch.)  I think I'm after the large, non-bristletongue animal still.[/spoiler]

zarf

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
[spoiler]I just remembered that the Sail Flyers rest in the water when they're not flying.[/spoiler]

But this doesn't get me closer to finding the last species, of course.

iamthewaffler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Here's my list. Obvious, serious spoiler!

[spoiler] No, really. The identities of these creatures are half the fun. Still want to click?
[spoiler]
Spine tube
Aircomber
Serpentweed
Spindlepus
Purple Joshua
Scaled Ancient
Hydropod
Bristletongue
Phoenix Tail
Whalebark
Groundbloom
Candlewort
Gordy tree
Long-necked Bristletongue
Collared Boa
Volkanwort
Bluebloom
Starspore
Gordon's rose
Podclaw
Rockmole
Sea Briar
Spade Burrower
Sand iris
Handtrap
Trumpetpod
Bristlebrush
Sail Flyer
Cassandra's harp
Silt Strider
Sinew weed
Devotower
Spinewhip
Brackenball
Spiderheart
Vampire Gourd
Bulbmoss
Apprentice Tree
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

+1 12/17
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:17:27 AM by iamthewaffler »

otrain13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:16:44 AM »
I've been driving around for a week or two looking for the one remaining photobiont I have left to find. :) I was seriously thinking about making some kind of biome map showing the locations of various species around the island (obviously very spoilery, but kind of fun in a "mapping a science expedition to another planet" kind of way). Has anyone done anything like this yet?

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
I was considering much the same thing, but no, I haven't done it yet.  Good luck with your hunt.  I'm still after a motobiont, slippery bugger.  I've found sooooooo many of 5 of them, but none of the elusive 6th...

I'm struggling with releasing information at all - I'm sure someone will sooner or later, walkthroughs being the nature of the beast with gaming, but I really don't want to play a part in that.  Oh well, I guess we'll see.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
I was considering much the same thing, but no, I haven't done it yet.  Good luck with your hunt.  I'm still after a motobiont, slippery bugger.  I've found sooooooo many of 5 of them, but none of the elusive 6th...

I finally stumbled on the 6th.  It appears to be really cool, but I got a Bigfoot-style fuzz monster night photo, half hidden behind a plant.  I'm hoping I can circle around a bit and get a better shot; I'm not really sure how motobiont population areas work.  I always see bristletongues in the same general area, for instance, but they do appear to move around rather than being statues.

ETA: After the ID came through - Wow, that's pretty darned cool.  I'm glad I stayed on the hunt until I found it.  I would love a close look at the actual 3D model in the game, but the sketch is incredible.  Unfortunately the beast appears to have moved on.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:12:32 AM by jasonpatterson »

iamthewaffler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
I may be on to the same creature that you are. I thought I had the game basically dialed-in, but this thing looks NUTS!

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
I may be on to the same creature that you are. I thought I had the game basically dialed-in, but this thing looks NUTS!

[spoiler]I was wondering why there weren't more bristletongues on the island...[/spoiler]

zarf

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
Annoyingly, I found the large rare creature by accident, but I'm missing one of the smaller "common" ones.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
Both of the smaller ones are hard to spot in normal photos.  Without IR I have only seen each of the small species twice (in 216 photos.)  In my IR shots I've got 1 species appearing perhaps 20% of the time and the other about 10% of the time.  I would be very surprised if you had played through the entire story without several photos of both small species.

I checked through my entire gallery and found another image of the rare motobiont.  I had tried to tag it three times and failed because it was too far away and only partially visible over the top of a rise...  Space Bigfoot, I tells ya.

ETA: My first bit was not intended to be a "Wow, you must be blind!" kind of comment, though it reads like that in retrospect.  I was just trying to make it clear that though they are common, they're really hard to spot without IR.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:08:00 AM by jasonpatterson »

zarf

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
I'm in free mode, so I don't have regular IR photos. That's an unobvious angle on the free/paid distinction.

Let me try something... Okay. I just went through my entire photo roll, looking for pictures marked "classified" which had no obvious artifacts or motobionts. (This is how I found the spade burrower without IR.) Didn't turn up anything new. It's an imperfect method, of course, because we don't know the distance limits for classification on the various species.

Maybe I'll try going back over known territory and taking nighttime photos without flash. (I didn't do much of this, which is why I got the "bioluminescence" mission so late in the story.)