Author Topic: Issues Specific to Android  (Read 77971 times)

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Issues Specific to Android
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
First and foremost, I'm fully aware that the primary focus of the game is to get it functioning for proper computers rather than handheld devices.  This is intended to be a helpful list of issues that we discover on Android devices for later use.  I would ask that anyone who posts an issue here check to make sure that it is not also present on the computer version prior to doing so.

I have found that the site functions surprisingly smoothly on Chrome for Android thus far.  I'm using a Nexus 7, so I've got a fair bit more screen room than someone using his or her phone.

Issues:
- The alert tab that appears when you finish a mission or make a new discovery doesn't appear, or if it does, it doesn't appear on the active part of the screen.

- Images and Tagging
   - It is difficult to grab the handles of the tagging box in order to resize it.  Instead the game prefers to move the box around.  It is possible, but it takes me at least a dozen attempts to grab on properly.
   - Non-panoramic (IR and regular): I cannot adjust the tagging box in any way (to resize or move.) I can only close it.  I do see the directional/heading information at the top of the screen when I touch the image.
   - Panoramic - I am able to adjust the tagging box's size and position but I cannot see the directional/heading information at the top of the image no matter what I try.

Other than those few things it has really worked well so far.  Using a small screen definitely limits your ability to see what is happening in the images, but that's the trade off you make, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:42:03 PM by jasonpatterson »

Gideon_Graves

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Issues Specific to Android
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
Quick question, Jason. How are you managing to actually move the tagging boxes around? All I get is either a selection of the tag box's number or a brief highlight of the whole box in blue. For that matter, what version of Android are you running?

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
On panoramic shots I just drag them around, there's nothing special to it at all.  On non-panoramic shots I can't interact with the boxes in any way except to close them.

Android 4.3

Panoramic shot headings - I just noticed that if I can see the top of the image when it loads, I do get the heading information at the top of my panoramic images.  However, if I add a tag to the image (or sometimes just scroll down so that it goes off screen) then the heading disappears and doesn't come back.  This same behavior can occur with non-panoramic images.  I haven't figured out what is distinguishing the non-panoramic images that retain their heading when I add tags from those that don't.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:13:34 PM by jasonpatterson »

Keith

• Lead Client-side Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the detail feedback, it is very helpful. Improving the mobile/touch experience is pretty high on my list right now.

Images and Tagging
- I believe I've fixed the issue with non-panorama image boxes not working, and it should be out soon.
- Does the disappearing heading reappear if you scroll the panorama left / right by dragging the image?

Alerts
- For the alert tab, does the little red alert counter appear in the "Home" tab button?
- Is your browser taking up the full screen, or can you pan to the lower left corner and see if a toast is appearing?
- Is this happening on both the Home tab and Map tab?

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
I just tried this on my phone (Galaxy S3, Android 4.1.2, Firefox) and let's just say, "Woe to all who attempt to tag images here."  I can view images, work on the site in general, listen to the sounds and watch videos, but the tagging process is very messed up.  It seems like the system just can't figure out whether I want to scroll left/right or drag a box left/right or resize the box.  I was able to interact with the tagging boxes on a non-panoramic image, but in every case after moving the tagging box once or twice it got stuck in place and could not be interacted with in any way.  The page was able to tell what I had tagged though, and identify it correctly.  The issues involved were entirely of the tagging box adjustment variety.

You'd also have to be a masochist to play such a nice looking game on a 5" screen.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the detail feedback, it is very helpful. Improving the mobile/touch experience is pretty high on my list right now.

Images and Tagging
- I believe I've fixed the issue with non-panorama image boxes not working, and it should be out soon.
- Does the disappearing heading reappear if you scroll the panorama left / right by dragging the image?

Alerts
- For the alert tab, does the little red alert counter appear in the "Home" tab button?
- Is your browser taking up the full screen, or can you pan to the lower left corner and see if a toast is appearing?
- Is this happening on both the Home tab and Map tab?

I tried narrowing down the conditions that cause it to disappear.  Right now it will consistently disappear when I hit the Add Tag button.  Once it's gone, it doesn't come back until I refresh or hit Back then Forward (presumably loading a cached version of the page.)  Neither submitting the tag for ID nor scrolling around in any direction seems to make a difference - it just doesn't come back.

The red alert counter (the number on the home tab is what I assume you're asking about) does show up regardless of where I go in the game.

I actually just saw a toast (?really?) while viewing an image.  I was in the gallery checking the image and it appeared.  I was not scrolled to the bottom of the page or viewing full width, but it appeared in the bottom left corner of the screen as it was intended to do.  Note that it's possible that I'm stupid and have missed all of the ones that have appeared thus far.  It will be ~1 hour before I get another unless I happen to discover something new on this picture, so hopefully I'll let you know after that point regarding the home tab and an hour later for the map tab. 

ETA: Making dinner and getting the kids to bed, so I might miss the next alert.  I will try to get back to this as soon as I am able though.  I'll also have a look around on an iPad here in a bit.  I'll make a separate thread for any issues I find there.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:43:32 PM by jasonpatterson »

Gideon_Graves

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
On panoramic shots I just drag them around, there's nothing special to it at all.  On non-panoramic shots I can't interact with the boxes in any way except to close them.

Ah, that explains it. I've been saving my Panoramic and Infrared photos. I don't know when I'll be able to pay for an upgrade, being a student without a credit card, so the three Panoramic and five Infrared are going to be hoarded as long as possible. XD

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
With further analysis comes additional confusion:
Popup alerts
Toasts (still can't believe that's what they're called...) - I guess that I must not have been playing on my Nexus while this happened previously.  When I take a new image or discover a new species, I get a popup that behaves exactly like the PC version.  I have not yet finished a task on the Nexus while paying particular attention to this, but when I do next, I will try to do so and confirm that all of the popups are appearing as intended.  Apologies for the confusion; I can't believe I had just never seen one after playing on that thing for as long as I had.

Panoramic Images
Headings on panoramic images.  This got weird and helped explain some of what is making me feel like an idiot, since the headings appeared and reappeared after minor changes and in multiple ways.

In all cases I tried to get the headings to appear first by simply looking to see if they were present, then by tapping the image (this made them appear sometimes) then by moving the image, then by scrolling up and down to see if that had any effect.

Additionally, it is not just the headings that are disappearing but the entire overlay.  This includes headings, full screen button, existing image tags, and scroll buttons at the sides of the image.  I can still scroll the image by dragging it left and right.

a. Brand New Image 1 had no headings when I clicked on it with the toast active.  Clearing my browser cache and refreshing did not activate the headings on that image.  Eventually the image gained headings (I honestly have no idea what happened to make it so.)  When I added a tag (without submitting ID) the heading disappeared.  When I submitted it, they stayed gone for at least half an hour (after the species had been IDed.)

b. Some other images still had functional headings, but others did not.  I've kept one panoramic image without any tags at all, and it has gained and lost its heading several times. 

c. I found an image that had headings and free space for tags.  Once I added a tag, the headings went away.  On the PC version, they flash away, the box is drawn, then they reappear.  It was apparently the reappearing part that was not happening.  If I cleared the cache and refreshed, the headings came back some of the time.

d. After a suitably random period of time many of the images that have lost their tags have had them reappear.

e. Brand New Image 2 had headings when I checked it without the popup present.  They lasted for about 10 seconds and then disappeared without me touching the image or adding anything, just scrolling up and down a bit while they were always on screen.

e. New issue -  When I move or tap an image that has tags, the tags disappear.  They reappear as long as I am holding my finger on the image.

f. New issue - If I hold the side scrolling button on a panoramic image, the button can disappear and the image gets stuck spinning in circles.  It can't be stopped other than by refreshing or Back/Forward.

I've now run out of images with functional headings to break.  For whatever reason the breaking is persistent.  Clearing the browser cache and reloading the page has no effect at all.

Non-Panoramic images
These now have the same set of problems that the panoramic images have.  None of the headings or buttons appear, or if they do, it is only briefly and then they disappear more or less permanently.

On the plus side, I can now move/resize the new tags on these images.

Going to have a whack at messing around on an iPad for a while now.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
New issue -

Map scaling and whiteout
If I zoom out beyond the scale of the available map, so that the edges of the map become white, when the map resizes itself the "satellite image" is gone.  The rover tracks, map markers, and such are still present, but the actual image of the island disappears.  Sometimes this can be fixed by scrolling sideways or vertically, but other times it won't repair itself without a refresh or Back/Forward.

More weirdness with the headings:
Reloaded my most recent image.  It had no headings last time I checked, but they came back.  Tried to add a tag, they're gone again.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
Ug.  Sorry for chain posting, but here are some more observations about the overlay at the moment.

- If I close the extrasolar page altogether rather than refreshing it with a cleared cache, it apparently reloads the heading properly.  This is consistently working to reset the overlay at this point.  (This worked consistently until I mentioned it working consistently.  Not so much anymore...)

- Once the heading is functional for one image, it appears to work for all images.  Once it is broken for any image, it is broken for all images.  This was not the case when I was mucking about with it earlier.  There were some images for which the overlay functioned properly and some for which it did not at all.

- Holding the scroll arrow in either direction for more than two increments of movement causes the overlay to disappear and the scrolling function to be permanently activated (fun to watch for a while, but presumably not intended behavior.)

- The overlay (heading, fullscreen button, time of day, scroll buttons, and IR button) disappearing is independent of existing tags disappearing.  On any image with existing tags, they will show until they are erased and then disappear except while I am touching the image.  Not sure if this is intended behavior or not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:19:55 PM by jasonpatterson »

Keith

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
The overlay / controls are all triggered the same way, using the :hover state in css. So they appear / disappear when the browser thinks you are hovering over the image. On touch devices, without a mouse the hover state is not as straightforward to determine.

The scrolling seems like it could be caused because your browser thinks you are still holding down the scroll button. Does it stop scrolling if you press the add tag button?

I'd also appreciate it if you could do a few tests for me on this site: http://touchpunch.furf.com/

Under the "Try Some Examples", if you could click and try the "Draggable" and "Resizable" examples and let me know how well they work for you compared to the tagging boxes on Extrasolar images that would be useful for me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:04:27 AM by Keith »

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
I'm at work now, but I'll try both of these when I get home later and report back.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
Yes, when the side scrolling gets stuck on, I can get it to stop by adding a tag.  The tagging feature works properly at that point, but the overlay is then turned off semi-permanently (until the browser reloads the page entirely, it seems, though sometimes not even then if clearing the cache actually does what it says it does.)

I hadn't investigated it at all, but if I go full screen I can't make the overlay (full screen button plus side scroll controls) disappear.  I can get it to get stuck scrolling sideways, but it's easily undone by tapping the still visible arrow for scrolling the other way.  Going back to normal view erases the overlay entirely.

Touchpunch examples:
Is there something that I'm supposed to download or install for these to work?

On my normal browser they all work as described.

On iOS I can't even see the examples on the touchpunch page, just a heading that says "Try Some Examples" right above the video.

On Android they display properly but I can't interact with them at all.  I tried all of the draggable and resizable examples, as well as many of the others.  They are equivalent to background images as far as my handheld is concerned.

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
Not going to bother starting a new thread since I know IE has issues with the game on top of poor mobile support, not to mention the fact that I'm not the best example since AT&T refuses to update my phone from 7.5 (which has a now-rather-out-of-date version of IE's rendering and jScript engines), but here are my experiences with a Windows Phone handset:

I cannot move or resize any tagging boxes (haven't tried with panoramas). I can close them.
I cannot pan the map or move my rover.
Pretty much everything that does not involve a click/drag operation displays, works, and animates perfectly (haven't had any headers disappear so far, anyway and toast notifications work like a dream).
I went to those same test examples, and just like jason, I could not drag the drag one nor resize the resizing one (my phone treated them like they were interactive in that they lit up on touch like a link would, but they'd immediately unhighlight and do nothing when I tried to drag).

Keith

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks for testing that, and the other feedback, that resolves some issues for me.