Author Topic: Stesen's thread of bugs and other such little finds  (Read 166050 times)

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Stesen's thread of bugs and other such little finds
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
So far the one comment I've had (sure I'll have more. :) ) is that I don't see how Kryptex could know that there were symbols on the artifact from the angle I took the photo at. The photo only showed the edge of the thing, and as far as I know, the symbols are only on the front. This means there are many vantage points from which Kryptex's "I saw symbols" message won't make sense. I had to guess which side the symbols would be on and happened to guess right.

This is what I'm looking at: [spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:10:41 PM by stesen »

inkblob

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Just an odd little comment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
This was the first photo I took of that:
[spoiler]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/images.extrasolar.com/photos/f8/dc/f8dc1030-3462-11e3-b14d-22000ae288e3_1920x1440.jpg[/spoiler]

Which seemed just to be inside the identification radius, but like yours, at an angle that you really can't make out anything. My guess is Kryptex has some sweet apps to extrapolate minimal data. I went and took another photo later to get a better look:

[spoiler]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/images.extrasolar.com/photos/ac/a5/aca506ec-34ab-11e3-82ff-22000ae288e3_1920x1440.jpg[/spoiler]

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Clever way of linking a classified image! Not sure why I didn't think of that... :D

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »
Oh, and my next little comment: As I wait for an image, I happen to notice that the rover on the map slowly moves toward the next point over the amount of time before the next photo. However, you have stated that the rover actually moves to its next location in less than an hour and then waits its turn to transmit. If this is the case, then perhaps the speed at which the little rover moves should be increased to match that fact, as I suspect its current speed is a big reason why some people thought that it was taking the whole 4 hours to get there.

jasonpatterson

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
There are a number of these minor camera based issues.  I guess they could test the angle at which the image was taken and compare that to the side of the object of interest to see if they align.  A bigger issue for me is
-pretty big spoiler if you are at the spot you've indicated-
[spoiler]seeing large, obvious alien artifacts/buildings in the distance and not being able to investigate or get closer due to rover range restrictions.  I can get to about 100 meters away, but no closer - well outside the ID range, but clear enough that any science expedition would be salivating.[/spoiler]

To be clear, I completely understand why rover range is restricted, but it's really tempting.  I can say that I have yet to find a bug that lets me break the rover range restriction...

Gideon_Graves

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »
This was the first photo I took of that:
[spoiler]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/images.extrasolar.com/photos/f8/dc/f8dc1030-3462-11e3-b14d-22000ae288e3_1920x1440.jpg[/spoiler]

Which seemed just to be inside the identification radius, but like yours, at an angle that you really can't make out anything. My guess is Kryptex has some sweet apps to extrapolate minimal data. I went and took another photo later to get a better look:

[spoiler]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/images.extrasolar.com/photos/ac/a5/aca506ec-34ab-11e3-82ff-22000ae288e3_1920x1440.jpg[/spoiler]

WAIT,  I WAS SUPPOSE TO PHOTOGRAPH THE BACK?! XD I took a picture of the 'front', the one the curves outward like this:

) <-- Photographed from this direction

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:06 AM »
Apparently there are symbols on both sides. It seems that the only angle you can capture from and not see symbols is from the edges.

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
Another little thing:

Gordytree is one word in the discoveries area, but it's referred to as "gordy tree" (2 words) in the tagging task.

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Also, one of Jane's messages comments that we can't really call these things "plants" and "animals," since those refer to Earth lineages. Most everywhere, "photobionts" and "motobionts" are used instead. Why then does the filter dropdown in the Discoveries view use "plant" and "animal"?

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Stesen's thread of bugs and other such little finds
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
Just switched back to the game to find I had received two notifications. There was no indication of this from outside that tab. Perhaps you could consider adding a (2) badge to the page title like many other notification-producing sites (or the alternative of sticking a badge on the favicon)?

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
This audio clip doesn't display a waveform when playing:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/51875936

Brendan

• Lead Artist
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Vimeo just rolled out a big site update, looks like it somehow got reverted to an older version.  Should be fixed, thanks for the catch.

stesen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
You're welcome!

Another thing: Once a player has gotten one Photosynthesis message from Jane, subsequent ones might be shortened to something like "Okay, now that you've found more serpentweed, we'll start testing that one for photosynthesis, too," or at least change the wording so it seems less robotic.

I understand if that would be too much trouble with variables, though.

Rob

• XRI
  • Administrator
  • Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
Thanks for the bug reports!

Why then does the filter dropdown in the Discoveries view use "plant" and "animal"?

This fix should be in the works.

Gordytree is one word in the discoveries area, but it's referred to as "gordy tree" (2 words) in the tagging task.

This should be fixed.

Perhaps you could consider adding a (2) badge to the page title

Good idea.  I just added this to our TODO list.

smulder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 06:22:36 AM »
You're welcome!

Another thing: Once a player has gotten one Photosynthesis message from Jane, subsequent ones might be shortened to something like "Okay, now that you've found more serpentweed, we'll start testing that one for photosynthesis, too," or at least change the wording so it seems less robotic.

I understand if that would be too much trouble with variables, though.

I agree with this one.  I just got the message and found it odd that such a long and seemingly personalized message was sent identically with just the species name changed.