Author Topic: how to remove a dead link from games  (Read 3690 times)

jarp53

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
how to remove a dead link from games
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
went try out a new site STEAM and i was not happy, they put themselves on my startup programs, and even during me browsing they keep coming up, which i did not like; when i got the game i place the icon on my desk then drag it to games like i do with all the other games but that did not work, i could only play the game using the icon from my desk, and the link in games did not do any thing not even the menu; after not hearing from steam i uninstall the game and steam but the dead link remain in games, i really would like to get them out so i can buy the game again because i really like it. please help a'm missing my playing time

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: how to remove a dead link from games
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
Hey, jarp53 -

Can you tell me what operating system you're using?  Windows 7?  Like you, I don't like Steam to load at startup, so I disabled it from the Steam menu at Settings -> Interface -> Uncheck "Run Steam when my computer starts".  I then launch Steam any time I play a game that I purchased from Steam.

I know that the Steam guys are always trying to make it easier for players to move around icons and play the game when Steam isn't active, but it sounds like they still have some progress to make.  If you had Steam create an icon for Cogs on your desktop when you first installed it, you should be able to move that shortcut to a new location without any problems.  This worked for me with no problems in Windows XP.  If you look at the details of the shortcut, it should appear to be a Web shortcut with the following URL: steam://rungameid/26500

I'm not using Windows 7, but my understanding is that there is a separate games browser.  I don't know if Steam supports adding games to this list, but you can definitely add a shortcut to your start menu.

If you created a shortcut in your start menu or on your desktop and you want to delete it, you should be able to delete it just like any other file -- by pressing the delete key or dragging it to the trash.

There are some big advantages to buying from Steam -- your games are always up-to-date with the latest patch and they'll follow you seamlessly to any computer where you login to your Steam account.  But if you don't want to deal with Steam, you can also purchase the game DRM-free from Direct2Drive, GamersGate or Impulse.

- Rob

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:44:04 PM by admin »