Author Topic: Cogs won't start (Steam, Mac OS X Lion)  (Read 6319 times)

Zeekar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Cogs won't start (Steam, Mac OS X Lion)
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Is this a supported platform?  I just downloaded the game onto Lion for the first time from Steam, and it won't start.  I get the message "This game is currently unavailable ( Corrupt game files ).".  If I try running the executable directly, I get a "Bus error 10".  (If that's errno 10 = ECHLD, then I'm really confused.)

I've verified the cache of local files from Steam, tried deleting the Cogs folder and re-downloading. 

Any help?

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Cogs won't start (Steam, Mac OS X Lion)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Do you have a brand new computer with a retina display and the latest OSX release?

I just started receiving messages like this yesterday.  It appears that even though I followed all of Apple's development rules perfectly a year ago, they have since decided to change their API, thus breaking Cogs :(  I did some searching around and found that the problem isn't in my code, but rather in one of the toolkits that I'm using.  I'll start trying to fix the problem immediately, but unfortuntaely, since I'm the only one maintaining this code and I have 2 much bigger projects that are demanding my time right now, I fear it will take a few weeks before I can get out a patch that will work on the new Macbook Pros with the retina display.  This may sound like a small fix, but since Apple development rules change very quickly, I have to make a huge variety of changes to the game before Apple will approve a new version.

It's often the case that whenever Apple releases new hardware, there are temporary bugs that appear in many games until Apple releases a software patch for the graphics drivers.  So this may fix itself next time you get an OS update.

I wish I had better news. :(

Thank you for the bug report.  Without these kinds of hardware-specific bug reports, it would be impossible for me to make Cogs work on as many computers as possible.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

Zeekar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
No Retina display.  It's a Mac Mini.  It is the latest model and the latest update to 10.7 Lion.  Any diagnostics you need, let me know.

big_erk

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
Exact same problem.  Macbook Air with 10.8.2.   :'(

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
I've tracked down at least one bug that is being caused by bad drivers in the latest versions of OSX Lion and Mountain Lion.  I'm still trying to find a work-around that will fix it.  Hopefully Apple will get a fix for the buggy drivers soon as it may take me a while to find a way to consistently bypass the issue.

- Rob, Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
I manged to fix the problem where Cogs was failing to launch on Steam, but if you're using OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), then there is still a bug in Apple's graphics drivers that is causing a crash when you launch any puzzle.  For the time being, you can bypass the bug by disabling shadows on the options screen.  I'll put out a patch when I find a more permanent fix.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios