Author Topic: Problems updating progress to the steam cloud  (Read 29943 times)

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Problems updating progress to the steam cloud
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:17:31 AM »
I have recently had a new pc and am installing my existing steam games again. Cogs is causing me some problems. I am trying to copy my playerinfo file over to keep all my progress.

I have the old playerinfo.dat file from my previous xp installation and it is a file that is 11,228 bytes in size and was in my xp appdata folder.

On my new win 7 installation in my appdata/roaming folder I have no lazy 8 folder or cogs folder to hold the playerinfo file. However the file must be somewhere as the game is remembering if i complete the beginers levels again. tried a file search and its picking up nothing with the correct name

Any idea why this should be? any help on getting to the bottom of this will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Edit -- OOO I just read the latest news and notice the game is now tied in to steam cloud support - so I guess I may have lost my game status already - IfI plug in my old pc which i still have and log in will it update steam with all my game status? I hope so

Edit 2 - updated the subject title to make it more relevant
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:15:00 AM by critch »

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Problems copying playerinfo.dat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
OK - sort of replying to my own thread here - but it seems I have figured it out myself. The mod to put the game progress on the cloud could not have come at a worse time as i was in the middle of changing computers - so I now have my game progress on the cloud with just a couple of levels complete and that seems to be the state of things.

I have a file copy of my previous game progress from just before this latest patch with many levels done safely on my drive - is there any way of making this current and getting back my completed levels?

I have tried plugging in my old pc, but that made no difference to my lack of completed levels

Heres hoping for a fix :)

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
Here's some advice that came from another user who was trying to do something similar.  Follow these steps to upload your own version of playerInfo.dat into the Steam Cloud or fix a broken Steam Cloud file.

1. Put the save file you want to use in the old file location.  On Mac, that's in <home directory>/AppData/Roaming/Lazy 8 Studios/Cogs/playerInfo.dat.  On PC, it goes in C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\playerInfo.dat
2. Delete the Steam Cloud version of the file: Steam/userdata/<random number>/26500/playerInfo.dat.
3. Disable syncing with Steam Cloud.
4. Launch Cogs through Steam and finish at least one puzzle to force it to save the new playerInfo.dat file.
5. Reenable syncing with Steam Cloud.
6. Launch Cogs and a window pops up asking if you want to upload your files to the cloud or download from the cloud.  Choose "upload mine".

I hope that helps!  Thanks to Igor for figuring out this workflow.

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:48:11 AM »
thanks for the prompt reply - this is not working for me however.

I have followed the guide to the letter, but when I run cogs I get the error message that the playerinfo.dat is an unexpected size and the game fails to start. Is this something to do with copy protection of the game progress from when cogs was in the portal 2 ARG? I hope its possible to have a work around if that is the case.

I have tried this on  my new win7 machine - and my existing xp machine - just in case there was a difference - but its no go :(

Any further pointers?

Edit - I have had a thought - would a clean install and make sure all files are in place "before" I run the game work maybe? - I have a steam backup of cogs which I could use - pre-patch (I think) if that may be of use.

just a thought - I await your feedback thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:44:58 AM by critch »

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
This isn't related to copy protection or to the ARG puzzles... it's just that the Steam Cloud separately maintains the savegame file and that file's size... if those two things don't match for some reason, then it fails.  When you follow the set of steps exactly, are you able to get to step 4?

The other thing I've heard of people doing is contacting Valve to request that they delete/reset their cloud data for Cogs.

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
This isn't related to copy protection or to the ARG puzzles... it's just that the Steam Cloud separately maintains the savegame file and that file's size... if those two things don't match for some reason, then it fails.  When you follow the set of steps exactly, are you able to get to step 4?

The other thing I've heard of people doing is contacting Valve to request that they delete/reset their cloud data for Cogs.

OK - I can get the first 3 steps done no problem - its when I reach step 4 things go wrong. It is when I try to launch the game for the first time that I get the error. Literally the game starts - I get the lazy 8 splash screen - then the game goes black and the error pops up in its own "command promt like" window, and I get a seperate windows error box saying "runtime error cogs.exe has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way". the game then closes if I OK the error.

PS - thanks for bearing with me to get to the bottom of this - I appreciate the work donw and I hope we can solve it

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »
For that type of error, there's a good chance that the main executable file (Cogs.exe) or one of the drivers is corrupted.  Try reinstalling Cogs through Steam... In your game library, Right-click Cogs and select Delete Local Content.  Then reinstall.  If that doesn't help, try making sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.  Does your new computer have a stand-alone graphics card?  If not, that may also be a problem.

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:57 AM »
For that type of error, there's a good chance that the main executable file (Cogs.exe) or one of the drivers is corrupted.  Try reinstalling Cogs through Steam... In your game library, Right-click Cogs and select Delete Local Content.  Then reinstall.  If that doesn't help, try making sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.  Does your new computer have a stand-alone graphics card?  If not, that may also be a problem.

OOO - progress - that could be the key to things. I did a clean install - followed steps 1-4 from the guide above and am currently in steam offline mode with all my progress - woohoo (I have "enable steam cloud sync" option unchecked - but have also put steam in off line mode too - This might be important)

OK - so now I justy need to complete a puzzle and fingers crossed this will work :)

critch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:37 AM »
Hooray!!! - success - thanks all for your help on this. Just for completeness I will post exactly what I did in case anyone else turns up here looking for a solution to cloud updating progress files.

1. Put the save file you want to use in the old file location.  On Mac, that's in <home directory>/AppData/Roaming/Lazy 8 Studios/Cogs/playerInfo.dat.  On PC with XP, it goes in C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\playerInfo.dat. On a PC with win 7, it goes in C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs

2. Delete the Steam Cloud version of the file: Steam/userdata/<random number>/26500/playerInfo.dat.

3. Disable syncing with Steam Cloud. In menu - steam\settings on the downloads + cloud tab there is a check box

4. I also had to put steam into offline mode. in menu - steam Go offline... (this requires a steam restart to take effect)

5. Play the game. This is the easy bit. If everything so far is OK you should have all your progress in place. Play 1 level and add progress to update your local playerinfo.dat file.

6. Close the game. Re-enable steam syncing and put steam back into ONLINE mode. (requires another steam restart)

7. Play the game again and this time you should get a fancy steam popup informing you that the cloud game data is different from your local data. and you get the options to do nothing for now. To overwrite local data from the cloud. OR to overwrite the cloud data from the local data.

8. Click overwrite cloud data with the local data and all should be well.

Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of this annoying problem. It was purely bad timing that caused this as the update was issued in between me unplugging my old pc and installing cogs on my new PC, but everything is good now - :)