Author Topic: Cogs GO fails to start  (Read 7415 times)

Lexrst

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Cogs GO fails to start
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
Hello,

I purchased the Humble Bundle and have installed Cogs GO on an Acer Aspire One netbook (Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Graphics card) running Windows XP, SP3 (clean install).  When I try to run Cogs Go.exe I get the following error: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I have installed the C++ 2010 redistributable (just in case), but it still fails to launch.

Any ideas?  FYI - I used nLite to customize the Windows XP install on this netbook (stripped out a lot of extra Windows XP bulk).

Thanks,
Lexrst

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Cogs GO fails to start
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:15 PM »
Have you tried making sure you have the latest version of the graphics drivers?

Lexrst

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
Yep - graphics drivers are up to date - it's  a brand new install of Windows.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
I used nLite to customize the Windows XP install on this netbook (stripped out a lot of extra Windows XP bulk).

There's probably some standard file that you're missing that Cogs depends on.  Check for these files in your Windows\System, Windows\System32 or Windows\SysWOW64 folders: opengl32.dll, OpenAL32.dll, glu32.dll.

Are any of those missing?  If so, you may need to install the OpenGL and OpenAL drivers.

Also verify that now that you've installed the MSVC 2010 redistributable files, you see msvcr100.dll as expected in one of those folders.

whiz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
Hello, I'm having the same exact issue. I installed the Humble version of Cogs Go, as the system couldn't run the other version as it is underpowered and it was too laggy. The system is a clean install of Win XP, with all updates through SP 3, and was installed less than a month ago. It is not a stripped down install at all in my case, it's straight from MS's CD. Upon reading this section, i found the system was only minus the OpenAL32.dll from what was listed to check, so i installed that distribution, I also installed the C++ 2010 distributable as well just to be safe. It has updated video drivers. It still won't start, and provides no real informative error other than "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Please advise.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »
Is it possible that you installed the 64-bit version of the MSVC Redistributable package rather than the 32-bit?  Here's the link to use:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

Even if you have a 64-bit computer, Cogs is a 32-bit build, so at runtime, it will try to link against the 32-bit libraries.

whiz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
Sadly, It's an older architecture machine with a 32 bit processor/os so that isn't the issue in this case. Any other ideas?

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
It's possible that you may be able to get more details from the Windows Event Viewer.  On Windows XP, you can open it like this: click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.  Hopefully it can give you some additional details about the problem.

whiz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »
It adds 3 errors to the event log as seen below. Upon a google search of the error, it sounds like it may be a manifest/linking that is missing in the executable. Please advise.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 32
Description:
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------------

Event ID: 59
Description:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-----------------

Event ID: 59
Description:
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Cogs GO\Cogs GO.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
This definitely appears to be related to the previously-mentioned solution of installing the MS Visual C++ Redistributable drivers from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

But it sounds like you've already done that.  If that doesn't work, I suppose you could try installing the previous version of that library:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29