Author Topic: Congrats, and a suggestion  (Read 1966 times)

Puck

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Congrats, and a suggestion
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
Congratulations to the people at Lazy 8 on creating a fantastically fun, innovative, and great-looking puzzle game. I played the demo last night and immediately had to purchase the game... even though it was *well* past my bedtime.

The only criticism I would offer is that it seems to me that the "Least Moves" goals are significantly too easy in some of the puzzles. One of the early puzzles (I can't remember which offhand) had a "Gold" moves goal of 90 moves, and I completed it on the first try in 44 moves, without a significant amount of planning. I don't think that's an isolated case, either.

Conversely, the time requirements seem a little too hard. It seems odd to me that the moves requirement is fairly easy to complete, whereas the time requirement may require multiple playthroughs to memorize an efficient move set.

These are, of course, niggling complaints. It's a great game.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats, and a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
Puck -

Maybe you're just brilliant.  So far, you're the only person to say that the game may be too easy.  In case you're curious how I arrived at those times, the gold standard is, for the early levels, approximately my best * 2.0.  For the later levels, my best * 1.2.  So maybe you'll be more challenged by the later levels.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

Puck

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats, and a suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Believe me, the time requirements are plenty difficult. And it is definitely getting harder as the game goes on.

All I was trying to say was that I guess I was expecting move limits for Gold to be, if not the theoretical minimum moves, then pretty darn close; and that (to me at least) the move and time limits are in completely different ballparks, difficulty-wise. Frequently I'll get a gold on moves but a bronze (or no-award) on time; it is never ever the other way around, at least not on the first playthrough.

Maybe I'm in the minority when I say that I'm more interested in optimizing moves than optimizing time (although the two are of course related), and the game's challenge is more oriented toward the latter.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:41:20 PM by Puck »