Author Topic: Still doesn't work on Ubuntu  (Read 6019 times)

Bryce

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Still doesn't work on Ubuntu
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »
System:
bryce@thales:~$ uname -a
Linux thales 2.6.32-31-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 18:25:51 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

bryce@thales:~$ glxinfo | grep s3tc
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc,
    GL_S3_s3tc

GPU: Intel GM45 Express

Problem: regardless of using -nos3tc or not, Cogs crashes. The nature of the crash is thus: I start it, it opens a window, makes some mechanical-sounding noises, then X11 dies and the system fails to restart X11, forcing a reboot. I don't see any error messages on the console after this for obvious reasons, but I see, before it opens the window and crashes, an acknowledgement that s3tc is not in use. No graphics are ever rendered in the window that appears.

Please advise.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Still doesn't work on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't expect Cogs to work with the Intel GM45 Express graphics card.  It takes some relatively sophisticated vertex and fragment shaders to make all those nice reflective materials, so it won't run on older or low-end graphics cards.

Bryce

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
Why does it not work at all, as opposed to working slowly?
Why isn't there a clean degradation to less sophisticated graphics?
I appreciate the effort you've put into making the game look good (it shows), but it seems like an unfortunate omission.
I bought this as part of the Humble Bundle, but it still annoys me that I wasted money on it - probably because it is what made me decide to buy the bundle in the first place.

Blaise Pascal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I am also seeing the described crash, except it isn't hanging X and forcing a reboot.

To wit:

I do

$ ./Cogs -nos3tc

and I get:
WARNING: forcibly disabling S3TC support.
WARNING: Your OpenGL drivers lack S3TC support! Using inefficient fallback...
radeon_bo_fixed_map failed to map bo
EE radeon_bo.c/radeon_bo:120 - failed to map bo
Segmentation fault

Before the "radeon_bo_fixed_map failed to map bo" line, I get a window with the Lazy 8 Studios logo for a couple of seconds, it fades out to a mechanical sound of gears meshing for about a second or less, then crashes with the last three lines.

The readme file identifies this as HIB#3 Build#2.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:32:19 PM »
Bryce - When we started the design of Cogs, we had to set some reasonable min specs.  We basically decided that a 5-year-old desktop computer with a mid-range graphics card should be a good target.  There's a big step up from the fixed-function graphics pipeline to a graphics pipeline that performs vertex and fragment shaders in hardware and it's very difficult to support both types of graphics pipelines in a single application (Keep in mind that I'm the only programmer for Cogs).  It is techincally possible for you to install drivers to render Cogs with software emulation, but it will likely render only about 1 frame every 10 seconds.

Blaise - You may have the same issues.  Do you have a graphics card with hardware support for vertex and pixel shaders?

Blaise Pascal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:00:30 AM »
I believe my video card has hardware support for pixel and vertex shaders, but I don't know how to find out for certain.  It's an ATI RS780M (Radeon HD 3200) integrated graphics on my laptop.  According to Wikipedia, it's based on the Radeon R600 core, and that "The R600 core processes vertex, geometry, and pixel shaders as outlined by the Direct3D 10.0 specification for Shader Model 4.0 in addition to full OpenGL 3.0 support.[1]".

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »
We just released a new installer (build3) for the Humble Bundle.  If you have a 64-bit system, then it will now default to a 64-bit install, which may help.

musikpirat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:46:05 AM »
If it is too difficult to provide a fallback, you should at least add a check to prevent the game from crashing the whole xserver. Which shouldn't happen anyway...

rmlrml

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't expect Cogs to work with the Intel GM45 Express graphics card.  It takes some relatively sophisticated vertex and fragment shaders to make all those nice reflective materials, so it won't run on older or low-end graphics cards.

What about the GM965 card?

Code: [Select]
ryan@ryan-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 03)

I am having problems with unplayable jerkyness/skippyness in the game and sound.

I've never gotten any error messages regarding OpenGL or S3TC. (I installed the DRI configuration applet (driconf) which has the option to "enable s3tc texture compression even if software support is not available".  Maybe that is a solution you can offer people who are having that problem??)

Before I uninstalled/reinstalled with the patch you recently uploaded to Humble, I was getting some kind of "ALSA lib pcm blahblahblah (snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred" errors.  Now I don't get any errors, but it's still just as jerky as ever.

Help!  I want to play!  Running Ubuntu 11.04 on a Toshiba laptop btw

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
Most of the integrated graphics chips that start with "Intel GM" aren't powerful enough to render Cogs at a full frame rate.  It usually takes a dedicated graphics card.  If you believe you have a dedicated ATI or nVidia graphic card, then you may just need to find the right drivers for it.

anomie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

I don't know if there is a difference between a GM45 Express and the "Intel(R) GM45" card Xorg tells me I have, but it works ok here (Debian sid) now that we have a 64-bit version. A little choppy, but definitely playable with shadows and post filters off. The 32-bit version caused the GPU to hang (according to dmesg), with the same symptoms Bryce reported.

$ uname -a
Linux ataxia 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP Fri Jun 17 20:07:07 EDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ glxinfo | grep s3tc
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
    GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_S3_s3tc,
$ grep Intel /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    34.486] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)

From the GPU hang, from kern.log:

Jul 31 16:07:14 ataxia kernel: [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
Jul 31 16:07:14 ataxia kernel: [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
Jul 31 16:07:14 ataxia kernel: [drm:i915_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 68336 at 68315, next 68337)
Jul 31 16:07:15 ataxia kernel: [drm:i915_reset] *ERROR* Failed to reset chip.

It is techincally possible for you to install drivers to render Cogs with software emulation, but it will likely render only about 1 frame every 10 seconds.
After the GPU hang, I once managed to kill and restart X somehow or another with the GPU still hung, which led to GL using the software renderer. 1 frame every 10 seconds sounds about right. And it was extremely blurry for some reason, too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:54:00 AM by anomie »

Bender

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
I have the same problem on Ubuntu 10.04 with 64-bit and installer "cogs-installer-build3", which I downloaded again today.
To check the graphics card, the output of "lspci -nn | grep VGA" is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e32] (rev 03)I don't know whether it does the vertex or fragment shaders.
(motherboard is about a year old, but I would expect it to handle things designed for a five year old computer :) )

When it crashes after briefly seeing the logo, I get a black screen with some text flickering very quickly. Checking boot.log yields:
'fsck' uit util-linux-ng 2.17.2

/dev/sda1: schoon, 404933/29794304 bestanden, 41114165/119148072 blokken

* Starting AppArmor profiles        Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox

[ OK ]

* Setting sensors limits       
I appreciate the effort!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:24:28 PM by Bender »

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Bender -

This is your problem:

Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller

In general, most integrated graphics controllers don't have hardware support for vertex and fragment shaders, which is essential for Cogs to run smoothly.  Cogs is designed for a mid-range 5-year-old dedicated graphics card, but unfortunately, even brand new integrated graphics controllers often lag way behind that.

Bender

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
I was hoping that wasn't the problem, but at least now I know I can stop looking. Thank you for the fast answer.