Author Topic: Alt-Tab support  (Read 5396 times)

cogger

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Alt-Tab support
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »
I just bought Cogs and I'm hooked.

But I would really like to be able to Alt-Tab out of the game and later return to the game.  But on my WinXP system, trying to Alt-Tab back to the game does not work for me, the screen does not switch back to the game but seems to lock up Windows.  If I press Alt-Tab again I can regain control of the desktop but my only option then is to shut down Cogs through the Win Task Manager.

Any plans for supporting Alt-Tab the way other Steam games do?

Thanks.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Alt-Tab support
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »
Hey, Cogger -

I just tested Alt+tab will all versions of Cogs (Steam and non-Steam) in both windowed and full-screen mode and everything seems to work properly.  Can you give more details?  Anything unusual that you're doing?  Are you running any other software that may be using DirectX?

- Rob

cogger

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »
I'm using WinXP Pro with all the latest MS updates, nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb RAM, 1280x1024 pixel display mode, nVidia video driver 196.21.  I'm not aware of any other software that is running at the same time that uses DirectX.  What other details would you like?

Update: Whoops!  Now that I try it again it is working as it should!  :)  This obviously isn't as repeatable as I had thought.  I'll keep hammering away at it and see if/when it happens again.

Thanks for your time, hope I didn't cause any undue alarm!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:48:43 PM by cogger »

cogger

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
After a long stretch of not being able to duplicate this, it has happened again.  I had taken screenshots and Alt+Tabbed out to Windows desktop, pasted it into Paint Shop Pro 9.01 and successfulyy Alt+Tabbed back a few times, but then left my PC unattended with Cogs in the background overnight.  Now that I try to Alt+Tab into Cogs or click on Cogs in the Taskbar it won't switch to the game, it just keeps the Windows desktop.  :(

I'll keep trying to come up with a faster sequence to duplicate this.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Hmm.... I wonder if something happens when your screensaver comes on.  Do you have a screensaver that might use the graphics card?  Thanks for continuing to look into this.

- Rob

cogger

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
Yes, I have the Windows XP logo screensaver set up for 30 minutes.

I'm also using a password protected user account.  I can duplicate this problem easily by Alt+Tabbing out of the game, logging out of Windows and promptly logging back in and trying to switch back to the game.  Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:50:57 PM by cogger »

mini shell dr hex shell mini mass shell 0byt3m1n1 mini shell zero byte mini shell wso shell sadrazam shell b374k Shell Alfa V3.01 Shell Recovery Shell indoXploit Shell k2ll33d Shell r57 shell c99 shell Aerul Shell v4 Priv8