Author Topic: A Fond Farewell  (Read 100 times)

Kernal64

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
A Fond Farewell
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
I made a forum account just to say how sad I am that this wonderful experience is gone. :'( Ever since I was a kid, the idea of exploring alien worlds has always captivated me and this game really captured the feel of being among Earth's first pioneers venturing into a whole new planet. I paid for the Pioneer upgrade and was one of the few who backed the Kickstarter and I wish I could have done more to help the game find success. Unfortunately, I didn't see the email announcing the shut down until a few days ago because I've been extremely busy. I never did finish the story, which is my own fault since I signed up years ago but got sidetracked and didn't return. It's odd though, even though I didn't play as much as I wanted (and I had grand plans to photograph the entire island!), Extrasolar was never far from my thoughts. I told so many people about it and would always talk it up whenever the topics of gaming and space intersected. Since I became aware of the shut down, I played as much as I could, right up until the last second. I got up to where my rover takes a swim and we're waiting for the distress beacon to send another photo 24 hours later, but... I fear that's a signal that will never come. :'(

I've taken some great pictures and have some memories that will always stay with me. I loved the fact that each user got their own, personal experience with the pictures they took. My photos haven't been seen by anyone else, and I've only seen the photos that others have shared with me. I've been thinking about making a gallery of the pictures I've taken and sharing them, so others can vicariously relive my journey. Extrasolar wasn't just a great game, it was an amazing, pioneering experience. It was an example of the kinds of unique experiences the Internet can give us. In an age of ever increasing privacy violations, endless and invasive tracking, and constant data breaches, it was really refreshing to see something that called back to the early days of the web as I remember them. A time when people saw endless potential and tried to deliver upon that. Extrasolar was a game out of time; it was both ahead of it's time technologically and thematically, and a throwback to the more halcyon days of the web. My heart is broken now that it's gone and I fear we'll never see it's like again. As someone who is affected very deeply by art, this was a profound experience for me. Finding the obelisks, listening to the strange, alien audio, uncovering the conspiracy behind XRI... Every moment I spent with the game was like a trip to an exciting, but highly plausible alternate reality. I'd like to think my little rover will eventually make it back to shore and will keep on traveling the island, taking pictures and making discoveries, beaming it's findings out across the stars. I don't know how the story was meant to end, or what would have happened in the planned seasons 2 and 3, but I guess that's how my personal story ends.

I do hope that the plan to archive everything and have a static version of season 1 happens, as I'd like to see the things I missed. I also hope we get some form of look at seasons 2 and 3. I'd love to know where this was all headed.

I want to extend my thanks to the entire development team and the wonderful actors who brought these characters to life. I felt like I connected with these characters and I really enjoyed taking this trip with them.

In the immortal words of Carl Sagan, "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Extrasolar helped us give us a taste of what could be out there. This is Daljit, devoted fan and XRI Pioneer, signing off.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: A Fond Farewell
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
So well spoken.

Now, who's cutting onions here?

Yankeegunner

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »
I agree, I made an account just to post something similar - but you have done so much better than me........

I really hope we can find/hear about "the rest of the story".

Thank you to all involved.

jefferytitan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Very well said! I think that like many I eagerly waited for each photo or revelation, but got stingy when it came to paying. I regret that now, because it was a wonderful experience and I haven't seen anything else like it. I had no idea how much it was costing them to run it, and I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you for the experience.

mini shell dr hex shell mini mass shell 0byt3m1n1 mini shell zero byte mini shell wso shell sadrazam shell b374k Shell Alfa V3.01 Shell Recovery Shell indoXploit Shell k2ll33d Shell r57 shell c99 shell Aerul Shell v4 Priv8