Author Topic: Extrasolar Memories  (Read 1048 times)

Rob

• XRI
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Extrasolar Memories
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
I'm sad to announce that the last day for Extrasolar will be December 1, 2018. It's been an incredible journey, but I can no longer justify the cost and time needed to maintain the servers. More on that at the Extrasolar postmortem.

If you have favorite memories that you'd like to share about your explorations on Epsilon Prime or surprising encounters with the various characters you met along the way, I invite you to leave them here. Thanks to all our fans for your support!

Dream to worlds beyond.

- Rob Jagnow (aka Robert Turing), Founder of Lazy 8 Studios

Mr5yy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Extrasolar Memories
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
So, I just got this email and looking back, it's been two years since I finished the main story of it. To be honest, I forgot about it because, at the time, I didn't have the money to continue the story. But, what I can say is that this did lead me to my current college majors. SO I have to say, thanks for creating ExtraSolar!

Gzack

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
It has been a little over 3 years since my last login. I forgot about this game until the email today. Wow! How could I have forgotten it! What an awesome experience I had, this was truly a unique experience. Looking at my old emails it took me roughly a half a year to complete the story. I remember always looking forward to every single new email and excited to take another picture on an alien world. I'm glad that you guys are archiving the site, it was a great ride! This inspired my love of space, though unlike the last gal I am not going into a major relating to space. I would love to recreate this type of game one day on my own, as I am going into Computer Science. This was a blast! I think the biggest highlight for me was seeing the first alien object, listening to the very first audio sound, and then of course the climax of the story and that whole sequence.

Thanks for the memories!

Rob

• XRI
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
...what I can say is that this did lead me to my current college majors. SO I have to say, thanks for creating ExtraSolar!

Wait... WHAT?! Please tell me more! What are you majoring in?

- Rob

farkasma

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Oh boy... Thank you Rob, for making this game. It's been a jam. As I look back now, I took me about 3 months, to complete the story, and I sincerely loved every moment of it. And... yeah, dream to worlds beyond! Keep making creative games, and keep on reimagining what's interaction and realism. I'm really looking forward to seeing you again some time. Salute to everyone who has explored Epsilon Prime.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
I have a question regarding this from the blog:

For players who never got a chance to finish the full story arc, you'll still get your chance to read through to the end.

Does that mean you will give us the story that we played to read, or will we also learn where the story was going to go in the next episodes? I mean, you left us off at quite a cliff hanger.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
Oh, and to also stay on topic:

Finding the alien structures was of course very exciting.

Besides that, hunting down Razorback to get a good shot of them kept me occupied for quite while. Never really got close during the night time.

Maggie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
I'm so very sad to hear it. I recently started exploring again after seeing Disney's Pandora - it kind of made me want to reexplore this alien world.  I really loved doing so, and I'm so glad I had the opportunity.  I really wish you'd been able to be funded to make more adventures and not just have to end this one, though I'm glad it was up as long as it was.  It's really a magnificent achievement. And I hope maybe it'll fine life in another form someday.  Thanks for everything.

smili

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »
Hi Rob,  I got the email today.  It's been a long time since I played, so given the time away if I could reset the account I could probably replay it again with the fresh sense of exploration similar to the first.

Probably the immersion was what what I enjoyed.  The restrictions and limitations imposed by the game made it feel real - like I was sending real commands far off into space.

One of the things I remember is trying to time things so that I could get a picture of the 2 suns or moons rising or setting in close proximity over the ocean.   (sorry, can't remember if it's suns or moons or both).  Sometimes clouds would be in the way, but the excitement of finally things aligning and seeing a nice shot capturing that was real.  I was looking back through my photos and found ones like these and was like "yes, I got the pic!."

https://extrasolar.com/photo/6ZQgq42qcxuwsvE9IQNH06 
https://extrasolar.com/photo/5j8psReSKgu6OlDOxZQVTm

When I play No Man's Sky, finding cool scenery and photos is a key part of the game for me - just seeing what's out there - and the little rover gives some of that similar feeling of exploration of the unknown.

I remember trying to get a really good shot of the mystery animal that I initially saw far in the distance, but never really got a shot of him that I was happy with.  Searching was fun though. 

I can't remember the story very well now - like I say, if I could reset my account I could probably replay with the same sense of fascination - but as much as anything I remember wondering what's just over the hill or just out of sight, and inching closer to things that I was curious about.  The game largely played in my mind while I was waiting, and that was an exciting aspect.  I had upgraded to pioneer both in support of the project and so I could make more frequent moves and photos, but even then there was still the "waiting" aspect at work that kept me wondering what my rover would show me.

Anyhow,  I really enjoyed it.   Wish it would've been more of a commercial success for you.  Really was a unique experience.

faelnor

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
I am very sad that you were never able to make any money from it. I wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for a game that left me many vivid memories. The experience was uncompromised and unique, and it kept popping up in my mind in the strangest of moments long after I finished it, almost comfortably so. It will not be forgotten.

Rob

• XRI
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »
I have a question regarding this from the blog:

For players who never got a chance to finish the full story arc, you'll still get your chance to read through to the end.

Does that mean you will give us the story that we played to read, or will we also learn where the story was going to go in the next episodes? I mean, you left us off at quite a cliff hanger.

The plan was just to have an archive of "season 1" content -- the stuff that was fully produced and available to players. But if there's enough curiosity, I may reveal some of what we had in mind for seasons 2 and 3 (we had already started building another island). There was some _really_ fun stuff we had in store. I'll want to consult with the rest of the team to see how much they're interested in sharing.

- Rob

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
Hi Rob,

Count me as super-interested!

And I'm among the mourners who wish things had turned out differently. I had no idea you were spending so much of your own funds to keep the project alive! :-\

Who knows, the coming seasons could unfold through our mysterious friend here in the forums!  ;D
Rabid researcher of all things D'ni, specializing in (but not limited to) botanical, zoological, and anthropological topics.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
I am super curious. I hate unfinished stories, and if there is more to tell, in whatever form, I will be very keen to read it. I mean, why let that all go to oblivion, when at least your fans can appreciate it? :-)

cjone2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Bye

jefferytitan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the experience! I tried to drive my little rover to the coast to watch the last sunset, didn't quite make it! I'm one of those people who always seem to love the TV shows that get cancelled early. I would love to hear more about where it was going.

mini shell dr hex shell mini mass shell 0byt3m1n1 mini shell zero byte mini shell wso shell sadrazam shell b374k Shell Alfa V3.01 Shell Recovery Shell indoXploit Shell k2ll33d Shell r57 shell c99 shell Aerul Shell v4 Priv8