Author Topic: Heartbroken.  (Read 139 times)

aiki

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Heartbroken.
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
I have never felt such an incredibly strong sense of sadness to have discovered Extrasolar.... one week before its final shutdown.
This is truly the game i never knew i wanted, and yet, now that i know i love it, it slips just as quickly back into nothingness.

Everything about this game appeals so much to me, from the very believable world, the actual, real science, and amazing sense of wonder in that i can't even imagine what the next photo or message will bring.
And yet, i do understand why it failed. I really don't know myself how to easily describe what this game is, what makes it so unique and breathtaking.
This project has already captured me so much that i wish i could turn back time, and that is something very few things, pieces of art, have done to me.

I do dream that one day in the future Extrasolar might be converted into an offline experience, to have all the rendering and data offloaded just on the user's computer. I would pay money as soon as I could to have that happen.

This is an absolutely brilliant, incredibly unique experience that i really do feel has not truly lived to share its beauty to the world.
I might have only been involved in this for a week, but the longing will stay with me for a long time.
I really do plead to the developers for a chance that we may enjoy this gem again, just any time again, as it was originally laid out to us.
If it would take years, as a small side project, with an upfront payment cost, whatever... it would make me so happy.

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
Re: Heartbroken.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
It's a sad day for all of us, I think.  :'(

You have my utter and complete sympathy aiki. I feel exactly the same way.

<hugs>
Rabid researcher of all things D'ni, specializing in (but not limited to) botanical, zoological, and anthropological topics.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
Good point actually: Does the game actually have to be online? I mean, there is no interaction with other players going on that would require it to be an online service.

aiki

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
It's a sad day for all of us, I think.  :'(

You have my utter and complete sympathy aiki. I feel exactly the same way.

<hugs>

Thank you. I am at least happy to know that some people did get to enjoy Extrasolar as it was, and it is some solace to have all the resources themselves put on the internet.

Good point actually: Does the game actually have to be online? I mean, there is no interaction with other players going on that would require it to be an online service.

It doesn't ACTUALLY have to be that way... but it was designed and made to be. It made total sense in the game's world, and it also had one big advantage in that it needed nothing to play from an user other than a modern web browser. Unfortunately, this definitely did raise the operating costs a lot... which wasn't great when it never really reached popularity.

Rewriting all the online code to be local and packing it into an executable, redoing graphics rendering entirely so it can work with many kinds of graphics cards, reworking the interface, distributing it once again...

It's definitely not an easy endeavor for the coders, but i do think it deserves a second chance in the future.

Belamanth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 12:56:02 AM »
It seems to be a fate of many off-the-beaten-track games which i have enjoed.

I remember playing Gllitch, a really adorables game. look it up on the web. The game was not econaomically viable as well. The interesting thing about it is that the dev and studio owner carried on to become the founder of Slack. Yes, THAT Slack.

Maggie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get more time to explore. I found the game a few years ago and I truly enjoyed it. I'm so sad to see it gone. :-(

mini shell dr hex shell mini mass shell 0byt3m1n1 mini shell zero byte mini shell wso shell sadrazam shell b374k Shell Alfa V3.01 Shell Recovery Shell indoXploit Shell k2ll33d Shell r57 shell c99 shell Aerul Shell v4 Priv8