Author Topic: What made you want to play Extrasolar?  (Read 6229 times)

Brendan

• Lead Artist
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
What made you want to play Extrasolar?
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
Hi all,

We are working to put together some new promo campaigns for the game, and I thought I'd take a poll to maybe get some ideas for good angles to pursue.  So if you have a moment to comment on the following, please do!

1. What was it that most caused you to want to give Extrasolar a try when you first heard about it?

2. Having played the game, is there something that you would have found even more compelling than your answer to #1 had you known about it beforehand?

DemosMirak

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: What made you want to play Extrasolar?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
1. I came across a picture of a Bristleneck in the forums of Star Citizen, and I wanted to know more. And so I did.

2. Probably the story line. I honestly did not expect there to be one, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Ainas answer made me rethink mine a bit. It is probably so that the story added immensely to the experience, together with the little blurbs in the species description, but it added to an already impressive base. And it would be hard to advertise it anyways, because the intro, with our friend the hacker, makes it all the better and how do you advertise that without spoiling it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:01:08 PM by DemosMirak »

jim

• Apprentice
  • Maker of things
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
Being a total nerd I found about the game via Rob Jagnow's GDC talk:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020519/Extrasolar-Postmortem-Game-Design-at

Basically as soon as I read the title "Game Design at 0.0003 FPS" I was hooked :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:23:04 PM by jim »

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
Hey Brendan! :)

In a word... "exploring"

I love the idea of exploring a place, especially a place that is other-worldly. Being able to do so in a research/scientific vein is even more interesting since that's why I love exploring in the first place. :D

Even if there wasn't drama/storyline here, I'd still be on board. The storyline makes it even more complex and engaging (plus draws in folks who aren't so much like me with the "exploring"...).
Rabid researcher of all things D'ni, specializing in (but not limited to) botanical, zoological, and anthropological topics.

kage23

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
I really liked the idea of exploring an alien planet, but even more, when Rob told me about the game at a GDC after-party, I was really drawn to the ARG-like aspects he mentioned. The whole bit about XRI rejecting you and then Kryptex getting you in sold me on it. I actually kinda wish there was more "mystery" aspects, and more player-solved puzzles.

DemosMirak

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »
I really liked the idea of exploring an alien planet, but even more, when Rob told me about the game at a GDC after-party, I was really drawn to the ARG-like aspects he mentioned. The whole bit about XRI rejecting you and then Kryptex getting you in sold me on it. I actually kinda wish there was more "mystery" aspects, and more player-solved puzzles.

I agree, it would be awesome if there were more files to crack, but instead of finding the code on some thing on the planet, you have to look for clues in some of those XRI subsites. But of course that would also make the game harder, because as it stands, you can solve every puzzle buy just sticking enough time in it.

zarf

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
I'm in the "explore" camp too. The hacker/XRI story was fun but that's not what made it compelling. I wanted to see how deep the world-design went.

smili

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Brendan,  I don't remember specifically what attracted me - it was probably the basic idea of a rover on a distant planet similar to Curiosity or Spirit.  I liked the idea of time delay, and dealing with the environment as an explorer at NASA might have to do.   I got an invite from a guy in a forum on gog.com, and the pitch you had on the website was pretty compelling.  One thing he mentioned was that his rover [spoiler]got stuck in the sand [/spoiler]and I do remember that element of realism being attractive to me.

As a player, the discovery aspect was the most fun.  Kindof like when you're playing Civ, it's the most fun when the world is all in the shadows, and you're expanding outward to reveal what's out there.  From a design perspective, more curious things to find in future iterations would be interesting.  Alot of the game happens in the players mind between moves, so little things to keep us thinking are interesting. 

Auroness

• Apprentice
  • Watching you
    • View Profile
    • As I Wander
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »
It was a tweet from someone who also tweets about the Mars rovers that caught my attention It sounded like fun, exploring just like the rovers.

• The ARPG aspect was fun, but felt limited. I didn't really have a choice in the way I did anything. More options would help.
  • The biology aspect was neat, getting reports and blogs as we discover things, but it would be nice to have something similar for exogeology. Maybe looking for signs of certain elements or compounds?
  • Once I got to playing, the biggest draw was actually the scenery. I found myself being very careful about aiming my shots to get a sunset or moon-rise. Being asked to find randomly generated "unusual" items would be fun.
Mixed in other stuff, you may find bits of my own journey - http://auroness.tumblr.com/

Peit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
I saw the game at PAX East. They pitched it as exploring an alien planet in a scientific sort of way, and that's absolutely something I'd like, so I tried the demo. I love exploration, science, alien life sci-fi type things, and taking photographs, so this game is great for me. I was initially turned off by the whole "conspiracy" thing (just let me do my science!), but I ended up liking it in the end. I also like the slowly unfolding story of intelligent life, which I didn't know about beforehand.

WriterOfMinds

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Writer of Minds' Writings
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »
Ainia (who I see has also posted in this thread) recommended Extrasolar over on the Cyan forums as something that fans of Myst Online: Uru Live would like.  Well I'm a Myst fan, and I'm also a huge space nerd who works on satellites for a living, so it seemed like a good fit.

Cookiedough

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:37:31 AM »
I actually hadn't heard of this game until last week when I was browsing news feeds and came across this game, it said that Season 2 was going for Kickstarter. I'm an astronomy fanatic, anything to do with other planets, stars, galaxies. I've played a variety of space games, but this one looked quite promising to me. I love the fact that its in real time. That I can set my rover to explore an area for an hour, or even a day, come back to it to find a new picture of a stunning landscape, flora or even animals, or a new assignment.

I bought the Pioneer upgrade yesterday and I feel this game is totally worth putting money down on. And I will be contributing to the Kickstarter project as well.

K

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
It went like this: "I can drive a Mars rover? It's really pretty? and there's plot so it's not boring? Sold."  "We have a demo..." "No need." 

What I got really caught up in when playing was feeling like I was helping unravel a scientific mystery -- the emails from the biologist speculating about how life works on the planet. I'd initially thought we'd figure out the geology, weather, etc. too. When I realized [how that actually resolves] I was disappointed. But the overall experience was satisfying anyway. Definitely worth the time. (Speaking of time, I don't normally enjoy games that only let you play a bit at a time, but I think the time delays are part of what makes this particular game fun.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:34:06 PM by K »

parman16

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:17 AM »
Being a total nerd I found about the game via Rob Jagnow's GDC talk:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020519/Extrasolar-Postmortem-Game-Design-at

Basically as soon as I read the title "Game Design at 0.0003 FPS" I was hooked :)

It was recently published on the GDC youtube channel, that's how I discovered the game: https://youtu.be/BCKYSNqBWZM
Paid for it after a day. Great experience so far.