Author Topic: Suggestions for COGS  (Read 3175 times)

johnnydc

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • my biz
Suggestions for COGS
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »
I've been playing this game pretty regularly for a week, and while I love the game, there are a few things I'd love to see added. I'm not going to mention anything about a hint system, since it's been remarked on so much in the gaming press already, and personally I don't attach much importance to it. Most of my suggestions are not so much about the game mechanics anyway, but more about the experience.

1. Different player profiles, each with it's own set of stats. To give an example, my younger brother likes to play this game too, and the only computer he has is a netbook, so he has to play it on my machine. Not a problem, but (I'm ashamed to say) he's WAY better at this game than I am, and he's trumping my stats. It would be nice if we could have two (or more) player profiles to allow him to keep track of his times/moves/etc. and me to keep track of mine. While I'm aware that I can bring up past game histories, etc. player profiles would make this considerably easier.

2. Solution screenshots. Once you have solved a puzzle, it would be a nice option if the game could automatically take a screenshot of the solution before it flies/drives/floats away. This would allow you to compare alternate solutions easily.

This is it for now, though I might add to this thread in the future. Just thought I'd share my thoughts with y'all! ;)

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for COGS
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, johnnydc!

For the first suggestion, it is technically possible to have multiple player profiles, but it's not built into the game.  All of the player data is stored in a file called playerinfo.dat in the Cogs directory (The location of that directory depends on whether you got Cogs from Steam or another distributor).  If you want to save your data and create a new player profile for a friend/sibling, just rename that file to something like playerinfo.dat.johnny.  Next time you start Cogs, it will create a new, empty playerinfo.dat.  To save your brother's data and restore yours, just rename the files again.

As for the second suggestion, we toyed around with the idea of having the solved puzzle stay in place until a user clicks a button to start the final animation, but we decided some users would find that extra interaction too slow or awkward, so we did away with it.  I'll put a +1 under that feature request.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

marchelh

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
Hi There,

I like the view of this game a lot!
But now that the iPhone edition is on its way can you please look into creating a Mac edition?
This is really a game designed to be available on the Mac to.

Kind regards,
Marchel.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »
I hope we'll be able to get it on Mac soon.  Now that we've ported the engine to OpenGL for the iPhone, the Mac port should be a lot easier.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

cogger

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
I too would prefer that the solved puzzle stay visible a little longer so I can enjoy my accomplishment.  :)