Author Topic: Turing's Rover  (Read 4317 times)

JosephFinn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Turing's Rover
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
I know the latest update made it easier to find, but I'm having the damndest time spotting it.  I've been all over the area of the map it's panoramic photo would indicate, but not a sight of it.  Any suggestions?

Auroness

• Apprentice
  • Watching you
    • View Profile
    • As I Wander
Re: Turing's Rover
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »
Look behind you. I had been in the area, looked around for it, and then I realized I had not looked in the area directly behind me since I got the message. Even if you cleared the area earlier, you would not see it.
Mixed in other stuff, you may find bits of my own journey - http://auroness.tumblr.com/

JosephFinn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
I'll try that, thanks; I've tried triangulating with the Arc and the Fingers (that photo shows it should be due west of the Arc) but may have just missed it at some point.

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
JosephFinn,

I seem to be chasing it today (or tonight in Artocos Island terms), so Turing seems to be running it about rather than leaving it in any one location. It will take a while to figure out if this is random or if he's using a pattern for the rover movements, but I can let you know here if I figure out anything. (Of course, it could also be that I aimed for the wrong landmark in heading toward his rover... in which case I should know more shortly.)

Note: I'm probably *not* in the same place of the storyline as you, so don't know if this would make a difference in my data and conclusions (I have been focusing on mapping out the island rather than running errands for all the XRI folks ;) ).

Update: it looks like it was a navigation issue on my part (I did indeed aim for the wrong landmark... stupid hillocks blocking my full view... grumble grumble)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:56:31 PM by Ainia »
Rabid researcher of all things D'ni, specializing in (but not limited to) botanical, zoological, and anthropological topics.

Auroness

• Apprentice
  • Watching you
    • View Profile
    • As I Wander
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
The little ridge messed me up too. It was just on the other side, but I ended up going past it and then my other photos didn't quite cover all the area, until the fourth shot.
Mixed in other stuff, you may find bits of my own journey - http://auroness.tumblr.com/

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
Hmm, it appears I was right on both counts.  :o

Turing's rover is moving (drifting?) relatively slowly, but it *is* indeed moving. Based on my small dataset so far, it looks like it's moved about 1 meter over the course of 2-1/2 hours.

I'll add a couple of pics later to illustrate.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:01:46 PM by Ainia »
Rabid researcher of all things D'ni, specializing in (but not limited to) botanical, zoological, and anthropological topics.

JosephFinn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I *think* I see it just north of me now (and significantly off of where that photo would indicate, so it does move).   I'll report back!

Ainia

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • All Things Uru
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Greetings again,

Here are a couple of spoiler-free pictures to illustrate Turing's rover movement:

[spoiler=Snipped version][/spoiler]
Full version

[spoiler=Snipped version][/spoiler]
Full version

Both shots are at night and were taken 2-1/2 hours apart. You can see that the rover has moved about 1 meter away from several identifiable rocks during that time.

In the meanwhile, I am continuing to chase Turing's rover around the landscape. I'm hoping to determine if it's wandering randomly or following a particular pattern/path. So far, it looks fairly random to me… (so maybe Turing fell asleep at the wheel ;D)

Merpal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I *think* I see it just north of me now (and significantly off of where that photo would indicate, so it does move).   I'll report back after i try the bathmate ok!

It moves! That's why I can't find it. The damn thing could be anywhere lol.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:29:54 AM by Merpal »