Author Topic: First level mods (10 out so far!) & LEVEL EDITOR  (Read 175171 times)

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
First level mods (10 out so far!) & LEVEL EDITOR
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Here are my first levels for cogs.  To install, just place the file and folder in the data folder in cog's directory.
The puzzles are as follows (from easiest to hardest, personal opinion): OO, colors, yap, Coolness, Window, Pipe Mania, Double Blank, onion, alarming news, leeks.

Any feedback is appreciated.  Have fun, and don't get too frustrated.  If you get a solution to leeks that is different from the standard (just put a # before the SCRAMBLE keyword at the bottom to see the standard solution), please let me know :D

I hereby claim puzzle ids 470-479.
link to editor
pressing Q will set up borders automatically
pressing A will shift all current pieces by the specified amount.  This is mainly useful for adjusting everything by .5 to center things
pressing T will allow you to change the currently selected piece type
pressing S will save
pressing the numbers 1,2,3,etc will switch layers.
layer 1 is always the board, layer 0 is always for pegs.
left click does most things,
right click usually deletes, but opens a menu on engines and pipes.
pipes need an extra layer of separation.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:46:55 AM by notgreat »

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: First level mod (very hard)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Wow.  Difficult, indeed.  I don't think I ever got it below 10 leaks.  I'll give it another try later tonight.  Great work as our first mod!

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

Re: First level mod (very hard)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Yep it is difficult. I am yet to complete the main game as yet...

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (very hard & medium)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Just mentioning that an easier level is out :D
Constructive criticism would be appreciated on the colors level.

Brendan

• Lead Artist
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (very hard & medium)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
Nice job on the colors!  Just played through it and came up with silver/gold, but not til my second try. :)  Rob was impressed by the roving purple gear idea, great way to lock down a certain stretch of pipeline.

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (very hard & medium & hardish)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
New puzzle out again!  This one is roughly half-way between the other  two.  Any and all constructive criticism would be useful.
Also, I'm wondering about the interest in a possible new type of gadget made by a strange combination of pipes.  A laser-mirror system, where the laser would bounce off the mirrors to be directed where it is needed.  Just asking if anyone here thinks I should do it.

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
Did you mean to attach your latest creation?

A laser-mirror system would be amazing, but as far as I know, I can't think of a way for the current Cogs engine to support it.  Sequel?  You seem to be an up-and-coming creator.  Maybe you can claim that for your own game -- a digital version of Khet (http://www.khet.com/)

- Rob

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I updated the original post so that the attachment contains the new puzzle.

I haven't tested the laser-mirror idea yet, as it would require a lot of work to get going, but I'm planning on trying it out on a small level soon.  The basic idea is invisible I-pipes on every tile.

lovestars87

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
could you make more puzzles plz, i'm so love this game, i have tried to find any game similar to this one, but i couldn't. if anyone who knows any game same as COGS plz tell me
Sorry for my bad English, I'm not good at it.
Thanks for the new puzzles

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
Next level is (finally) out!  It's called OO, for reasons that should be apparent once played.  It is very easy (comparatively), and is my first puzzle with the modular pieces.  Just re-download the file attached to the first post.

Brendan

• Lead Artist
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (4 out so far!)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
Finally checked out Alarming News and OO.  Very nice!  Glad to see the modular pieces being put to use, and Alarm is insane - I'm gonna have to sit down with that one and really work it out before I can even think of completing it.  A couple tips: 1. Include the modular board pieces in your .zip and a text file with the instructions on which directories to put everything in and 2. Make the target gear in OO gold so it stands out a little more.  Cheers man, keep up the good work!

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (5 out so far!)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Another one!  I've also changed the install style, tell if you like this way better.

Anyway, IT is nearing completion, should be out within a month or two.  What is IT you ask?  I'm not telling yet  ;)  To prepare for IT's release, I'm going to be releasing a new puzzle every week or so.  More information next week!

PS. to the developers: it would be nice to have a way to clear a single level's score data, as the 1-move 2 second wins I got from testing my FINISHCONDTIONS are a bit annoying, and I don't want to loose all my standard data.

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (6 out so far!)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
Here's yet another puzzle.  Please reply, all 3 of you.  I really need some feedback if I want to improve.

Well, I think I'll add another teaser of what I'm developing.  OO, onion, and YAP were all influenced significantly by IT.  IT is a fake name that I'm using, though the current initials of the program are CMM.  IT is being developed in game maker, a rapid prototype tool.  IT is sadly limited to 2-D for now.  That is all, next week I'll fully disclose what IT is, followed by its release the next week (assuming I finish IT in time.)

admin

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Widgeteer
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (6 out so far!)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »
Great new designs!  I really enjoyed yap and onion.  Your design skills are definitely improving.  These new puzzles are fun, challenging and also great to look at.  I managed to get bronze time and silver moves on both on my first try.

Also, the new file setup made it super easy to just drag everything into the data folder and go!

Sorry it took me so long to try these new puzzles out.  Needless to say, I've been busy with the iPhone port.  Hopefully it will get submitted to Apple on Friday!

- Rob

notgreat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: First level mods (8 out so far!)
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
Two more puzzles!  One of them was a particularly unusual puzzle, the "double blank" puzzle.  It has two blank squares.  Good luck!

I am just now finishing development on my Cogs Mod Maker program.  It is a GUI for the level-making process, dropping the time it takes for me to make a level to well under an hour (the majority of the time is taken up with testing).  In fact, it takes less than 10 minutes if everything goes well.  The only thing you have to do is set up the FINISHCONDITIONS.  There are still a few bugs that I have to work out.  Some time this week, I will be releasing the editor.